Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Half of What You See.


Is the cup half full, or half empty? Is blue really blue, or blue blue because that is what we were told since birth? How do you know that red is not yellow, that green is not black, and purple is not white? My point is that as humans we were all taught something based on someone else's interpretation. Do not get me wrong, I know that the sky is blue, and that blue is blue...I mean it is all I know after all...but I would not necessarily call it factual. This past week on that fuckery of a site we call Facebook, which is struggling to stay relevant and interest, has had another fad touchdown and get everyone...or almost everyone to join in and participate. This recent craze was for users to change their profile pictures to their all-time favorite cartoon new or old. The reason behind it was supposedly to raise awareness and money for abused children. I was very skeptical at first about the whole thing, but hell when I started seeing my friends pictures go from being themselves to Reboot (remember that cartoon?!), classic Looney Toons, and old Nickelodeon toons characters I could not help but hop on the bandwagon and change my picture to Foghorn Leghorn...if you don't know who Foghorn Leghorn is, he is the big ass country rooster who was always fighting with the dog or trying to convince the little chicken hawk that he was not a hen. If you still don't know, you should be ashamed of yourself! My picture was changed up until about Monday night when I got a phone call from a friend who told me that the people who were responsible for the profile picture epidemic were in fact PEDOPHILES! It was all over the news apparently, and they say that they did it because having a cartoon as a picture appears more inviting and youthful to potential victims. I hate and despise pedophiles, fuck praying for em! You ever seen a pastor preach to Satan? Not in these parts! I immediately took down my picture, told my friends, and they followed suit...well most of them at least...I am pretty sure that a few of the people I went to high school or community college with are potential pedophiles anyway. They always did look at high school freshmen a bit odd. But I digress. They had all of us fooled! We saw "help abused children" and went ape shit and changed our pictures! Sure the whole event was a spectacular Saturday morning/Classic Nicktoon reunion amongst friends, but what bullshit! We all thought we were helping for a good cause, even though now money went toward the campaign, THANK GOD because we all would have been uberly pissed if we sent pedophiles money to spend on gas money for trips transportation to their young victims houses. Where the fuck is Chris Hansen when you need him! (Host of Datelines 'How to Catch a Predator') But the internet is filled with millions of ways to manipulate people's minds and tricking them into believe that they are doing good, when they are really doing more damage than imagined.

No comments: