Sunday, March 7, 2010

Once Upon a Time, Not Long Ago...Ya'll Know the Rest

Ever since I can remember I have always had this nack to be innovative or just plain ol crazy I guess. In 5th & 6th grade I used to wear the ugliest plaid shirts (courtesy of Macy's kids) and gel in my hair. I used to want to look like the rockstars on television. With their amazingly insane styles or clothing, hair, and language. I also liked those half-naked girls that were in their videos posing with beers or guitars...I still do at times! Speaking of rockstars and beer...Kid Rock was one of my favorite...excuse me...IS one of my favorite artists of all time. C'mon! The dude can sing, rap, and play the living fuck out of a guitar! Not to mention he's from a city that even sounds cool...Detroit. Eventhough its bitter cold up there, it seems like a cool place to live...not in the literal sense either. I can try to overlook their shitty football team and their expired basketball team, eventhough at the end of the day my sports fanatical ass would not able to tollerate a city that has sorry sports. I would say this being from the "DMV" where our best teams are in hockey and soccer. But...getting back to the point...when I was younger I always pretended to be something that I wasn't. I must say every now and then I do slip into daydreams and imagine myself rocking the fuck out in front of a packed stadium filled with thousands of people. I guess this is why I love recording and writing music so much. I can become whoever I want and say whatever is on my mind in all honesty and have no regrets about what I said on record. I write songs every couple of days...most of my most personal songs or verses get stored in my red journal that has been beaten straight to hell...its pretty personal actually; I have only recorded about 2 songs from that book. It's my musical diary in a way. I have recorded with lots and lots of different artists from the "DMV"...uggh I hate that term...not the area, just the term...whoever came up with that name could have done a much better job. But I digress. I get an amazing thrill out of going into the studio or any musical venue where people want to hear what I am working with. Then I open up my book, open up my mouth, and release a sound that only my mind can interpret. I love the look on their faces after I say something that only I can come up with. And YES! I walk around with a grin as big as a waning-crescent moon over a creek on a Saturday nite in the country...only when I leave the studio though because I hate gloating or acting like I'm better than people. Eventhough I hear from outside sources that I clearly am. People ask me why haven't I gone to the radio, or why am I not looking to perform, why I have been working on a mixtape for a year and some change as if it's an album, and why I am not looking for a deal. Truth be told I just do this for fun, but at the same time I am a perfectionist. It's the one's that are looking for deals without mixtapes, without skill, without the love of music who are the EXACT people who are polluting the music that I/WE love so much! If a deal, performance , or a TOUR does come about I'm all in!!! yess!!!! But until then, I'm going to continue making secret tracks and recording for fun. It is amazing to know that the smallest influences can inspire so many people to feel so many things, especially to the extent that it makes people want to sing or write a song about something. I love being able to look at something, see something, hear something, or feel something and label it MUSIC! Once Upon a Time, Not Long Ago there was a young man who loved and adored the science of flow. And where he stood no talent stood so people looked at him like DAMN HE GOOD! Let your mind eat every piece of musical creativity it can find...even the smallest crumb can keep it from starving!

No comments: